Based in San Francisco, California
est. December, 2014
DescriptionYou Are Not The Hero is a 2D Action Platform RPG that ditches the battle system to focus on richer RPG gameplay elements. Instead of playing a traditional hero that saves the world, you're playing a bystander swept into the affairs of heroes and villains alike. You play as Petula, an unemployed, emotionally charged, ill-tempered, otherwise average young woman. With the royal army hot on their heels, the heroes have made their way to your village where they begin scavenging for supplies in everyone's homes. After you confront them for stealing your pendant, they rush off to continue their quest, giving you a quest of your own to retrieve it.
HistoryThis game was in the making years for before development began. It began when I looted 10gil from a random house in Final Fantasy IX, playing as Vivi. I wanted to return it after finding out it was some grandmother's life savings. Unfortunately, there was no way to do this, no 'come clean' mechanic in place. I imagined what life would have been like afterwards; how the grandmother could no longer pay her mortgage and was evicted, forced to beg in the streets. I wanted to explore the RPG world through the eyes of a bystander, a regular person in someone else's world. I also wanted to make sure it was fun to play, a truly memorable experience. I wanted to create a world that looked and felt alive. Too many RPGs get caught up in size and scope that the tiny details that bring the game to life are forgotten. I wanted to avoid that.
- Pixel based movement, no more tile-restrictive movement!
- Deal with enemies using your brain; Distract them, run away, hide, render them unconscious or use your environment to your advantage. Sure, you can try fighting them with your trusty shovel. Good luck with that!
- Explore a beautifully crafted world full of hidden secrets and cynical people. Visit impoverished towns, deep caverns, lush forests and mysterious ruins. Jump, climb, platform your way through hazardous environments. Obligatory awesome train sequence included!
- Tackle unique, fast-paced gameplay that'll keep you on your toes! Save villagers from annihilation, evade a landslide, vanquish a giant freaking ghost (without 'fighting'!)
- Traverse intricate mazes while solving IQ-zapping puzzles. Form bridges to continue your journey or collapse them to save a village from a foreign army. Switches, Levers and Pulleys oh my! You like those, right?
- Change the outcome of the game with the decisions you make throughout your journey. You may not be the hero, but you can still make a big, big impact. What kind of impact is completely up to you.
- Experience the lives of other NPCs by getting part time jobs, or through a side story of their own! Find out how it's like to run an Inn, sell items to heroes and raise cute chicken-ostriches!
- Establish yourself as a shopkeeper! Rent a shop and find suppliers to keep your stock full. Sell your wares and open branches in other cities!
- Buy a new home! Upgrade when you've got more money, furnish your house with rare items!
- Enter "The Library" Where you can replay finished storyline chapters, review high scores, view unlocked hidden scenes and access more hidden content!
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for You Are Not The Hero. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
You Are Not The Hero has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
You Are Not The Hero hasn't been the subject of any interesting article or (p)review yet. You could be the first!
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About ToMorning Productions
ToMorning Productions is currently made up of a single game developer who can't afford to hire the other members of the team, hence they are 'officially' contract workers. We strive to create games that we would want to play. Because if we want to play it, other people would too, right...?
More information on ToMorning Productions, our logo & relevant media are available here.
You Are Not The Hero Credits
Lead Developer, wannabe pixel artist
Bust Artist/Concept Artist